Re: Problems with installer

Mark Bradshaw <mark@networksimplicity.com> wrote:

> Here.  Sorry if there is some confusion.  Frankly, considering the
> number of installs I think the confusion has been minimal.  As a side
> note I've many times been in conversation with a user and suggested
> that it might be time to can the package as no longer necessary.
> EVERY time they vehemently protest that the cygwin sshd install is
> too hard/doesn't work/whatever.  The bar to entry to a tight sshd
> install under the cygwin installer may be too high for most newbies.
>
> Maybe as a compromise I can start using standard cygwin directories.
> That seemed confusing, and would definitely hose up some people that
> are used to my current structure, but I'd be willing if it's really
> causing communal heartburn.

I think that would just cause more confusion.

I think the correct solution is either for setup to complain loudly if it
finds NetworkSimplicity on the system, or for NetworkSimplicity to use a
custom build of Cygwin, changed to coexist with the official releases.

Or best of all, can the package - I'm unsure why setting up sshd causes so
many problems for some people.
Certainly its never misbehaved for me.

Ultimately, I think newbies would be better off knowing that they are using
part of Cygwin from the start, not having that fact hidden from them.

Max.