Re: No subjects are nice

Jake,

[ In case you've unsubscribed, Jake, I'm sending you a copy directly. ]

I don't think you should just go away. It is most certainly _not_ the case that you aren't welcome here. Over a few years of history on this list, I can only think of one person who was truly unwelcome (and was banned). For what it's worth, Chris Faylor is quite lenient about who and what gets on the list, even when he points out the inappropriate. It's also the case that the spam filtering on this list is quite effective since we see very little of it here.

However, every group (or "community," if you consider a technical mailing list a community) has to communicate and enforce its standards and conventions to and upon its members. As usual, once a person is familiar with those conventions and standards, they're not a problem. Often, as we've seen here, there's friction when the newcomer violates them and is then publicly chastised. This is not a personal judgement or condemnation, just an attempt to maintain our own standards.

Please don't feel unwelcome here. Cygwin is fabulous and it's quite likely that if you participate you'll learn more and others will learn more (from you or your questions) than if you just go away.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA