Re: problem with bash (too much file in directory)

Claudio Tamietto wrote:

> I have installed cigwin on my W2K PC and all is very well
> functioning. However if i try some commands like ls * or
> grep -i -l some_text * from a directory whit a lot of files
> (7-8 thousand) i obtain this error
>
> bash: /usr/bin/ls: Invalid argument
>
> Is it a bug ?
>
> If i try the same commands from a dos shell the error is not
> reported e all is functioning .

I expect bash is globbing the argument and running into command
line length limits, while the grep run from dos is expanding the
argument on the fly.  Dos doesn't glob, which has advantages and
disadvantages.  Not a bug.

   <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net>  USE worldnet address!