Re: ld crash

Christopher Faylor wrote:

On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 09:53:47PM -0500, Braden McDaniel wrote:

On Wed, 2002-11-13 at 20:05, Billinghurst, David (CRTS) wrote:

This is a libtool problem. If you do not find a more sophisticated fix you might try renaming or deleting /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-cygwin/3.2/../../../libstdc++.la.

Could you elaborate on the nature of the problem? Or is this documented
somewhere?

I can't elaborate because I don't know why it's broken but I can confirm
that David is correct.  I meant to remove this from the last gcc release
but I forgot.  I would suggest that everybody who has gcc installed do a
"rm -f /usr/lib/*.la".  I'll be doing the equivalent in the next
release.

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

DO NOT rm -f /usr/lib/*.la!!!!!!! There are more .la files in there than simply the ones from gcc; it's the gcc-supplied .la files that are causing the problem, not the other ones.

The reason the gcc-supplied .la files are causing a problem is because they specify only a static lib, and not a DLL. (Of course, since gcc doesn't supply the runtime libs in DLL form, the .la files can't very well specify DLLs.)

Upcoming libtool works around this problem with gcc's .la files. Upgrade to the experimental libtool-devel package here:
http://www.neuro.gatech.edu/users/cwilson/cygutils/testing/

I'm trying to get these patches accepted into libtool CVS
http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/libtool-patches/2002-November/002236.html

Since cgf has brought this issue out, I'll be putting the experimental libtool-devel on sources as a 'test' release soon. (Were you trying to prod me, Chris?)

--Chuck