RE: NO huge packages, please!

Peter,

At 10:10 2002-11-07, Peter A. Castro wrote:
On Thu, 7 Nov 2002, Randall R Schulz wrote:

> At 09:43 2002-11-07, Peter A. Castro wrote:
> >
> >... Perhaps it would be better to enhance the Setup tool to be a little
> >more robust in it's download processing.  Perhaps adding a re-try option
> >on an incomplete package pull?  I haven't looked into the guts of Setup
> >for a while, but I'd bet that this might be doable with a minimum hassle.
>
> Peter,
> Setup does this already.

Hmmm, then perhaps this is a more recent addition?  I seem to recall
having problems in this area a while ago (which is one of the reasons I
have a local mirror).  That or perhaps it was some other problem and just
showed similar symptoms.  Since I've been using a local mirror, I haven't
experienced anything like what we've been talking about.  But, if this is
the case, and Setup has had this functionality for a while, then why was
the subject of having trouble downloading over an unreliable connection
coming up?  I'm a bit confused as to which problem we are addressing here
now.

--
Peter A. Castro <doctor@fruitbat.org> or <Peter.Castro@oracle.com>

Well, I suppose the conversation drifted a bit. Mark Harig suggesting alternate software for mirroring in order to mitigate the effects of an unreliable Internet connection.

While it's true that Setup does have a retry facility if something goes wrong during download, it's manual: if a failure occurs during package download, then when everything is done you get an alert stating that there was a problem and asking if you want to retry. Then you're taken back to the page of the wizard that downloads the package list and you pretty much have to start over.

Far from ideal, really.

On the other hand, wget is pretty automatic and is rather persistent (and customizably so) in its attempts to surmount failures during downloads, so there's much to recommend it for users with links that exhibit frequent failures.

By the way, thanks for giving the details on altering wget's naming behavior. I figured it could handle it--it's got so many options--but I was a little too lazy to go look it up.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA

--

"I know! I'll breed the pets... To each other! I'll get a super-pet with the cleanliness of a dog and the faithfulness of a cat!"

- H. Simpson