Re: Is RSA authentication on SSH still broken?

On Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 07:19:40PM -0500, Harig, Mark A. wrote:

> > chmod 755 $HOME/.ssh
> > chmod 644 $HOME/.ssh/authorized_keys*
> >
> > I had $HOME set to 700 and authorized_keys* to 600 before and that
> > somehow broke RSA authentication - it is odd that stricter permissions
> > would cause that. I suppose this is because the SYSTEM or
> > sshd user need
> > to read the keys and cannot without the appropriate privileges.
> >

> Could this be a bug in Cygwin's implementation of openssh?

It isn't.  It's a problem with the permission model of NTFS.  Even
though SYSTEM is *the* major player on the machine, it gets an
"access denied" if it has no permissions on a file.  Don't ask for
my opinion on this behaviour.

However, since NTFS uses ACLs, you can give SYSTEM explicitely access
to the file:

[~/.ssh]$ chmod 600 authorized_keys
[~/.ssh]$ getfacl authorized_keys
# file: authorized_keys
# owner: corinna
# group: root
user::rw-
group::---
mask::---
other::---
[~/.ssh]$ setfacl -m g:SYSTEM:r-- authorized_keys
[~/.ssh]$ getfacl authorized_keys
# file: authorized_keys
# owner: corinna
# group: root