RE: Can cron run ssh commands?

Try adding '-v' to your ssh command in your cron job.
This assumes that you have cron's integration with
email working.  If you don't have the 'ssmtp' package
installed (via setup.exe), then you'll want to do that
so that any output is emailed to you.

See: /usr/doc/Cygwin/
                     cron.README
                     ssmtp-<version>.README

Of course, you should probably start with a simpler
cron job, say, the output of '/usr/bin/env' so that
you can see what cron thinks its environment is.