Re: NetPBM & JPEG2000?

>I found also JasPer[1] which does pretty much of the thing I searched
>for, I'm not sure whether the license of JasPer is compatible with
>GPL and whether it is possible to include it into netpbm, also it is
>not Java but C code.

Great, I'll look at that too.  The web site was down when I tried to
look yesterday, so I assumed it was obsolete.  But it's all there now,
and looks like what Netpbm needs.  The license is clearly not
compatible with GPL, as it imposes two restrictions on redistribution.
One of them is directly contrary to the spirit of Free Software that
GPL is intended to advance: It says you can't use the software in a
program that extends the JPEG 2000 standard.  JJ2000 has the same
restriction.  But Netpbm is not GPL -- its parts have a wide variety
of licenses, and I don't see a problem with packaging JasPer into
Netpbm as pnmtoj2k/j2ktopnm.

--
Bryan Henderson                                    Phone 408-621-2000
San Jose, California