Re: Problem with rsh

Pierre A. Humblet wrote:

On Fri, Oct 25, 2002 at 03:23:11PM -0700, Andrew DeFaria wrote:

David Rothenberger wrote:

Check your /etc/passwd file and make sure there is no entry in the
password field (the second field). You want something like this:

someuser::11150:...

and not something like this:

someuser:unused_by_nt/2000/xp:11150:...

Wham! Good answer! It works!
Yes, but you have no security.
Security is not as much a concern behind our firewall.

The cygwin mechanism that logs you in when the password is empty is the same as with .rhosts, and different from the one when providing a password. Thus it looks like your .rhosts isn't setup properly. Among other things it should only be writable by you.
My .rhosts is:

$ ls -l ~/.rhosts
-rw-r--r-- 1 adefaria Domain U 1637 Oct 4 12:21 /home/adefaria/.rhosts

And consists of a list of hostnames in the local intranet followed by my user ID. As admin I should be able to rsh to any other machine. Still with this rsh fails with permission denied unless /etc/passwd's password field is blanked. That, in essense, was my problem.

Now if you can describe how I can set it up to be a little more secure I'd try to configure it but as it apparently stands the intended security (i.e. using a ~/.rhosts file) is not working correctly.