Re: exim 4.10-2: exim.conf Permissions

Youssef Eldakar wrote:

> The exim 4.10-2 package sets /etc/exim.conf to mode 777. Attempting to start
> exim (`exim -bd`) fails with the error:
>
> 'Exim configuration file /etc/exim.conf has the wrong owner, group, or mode'
>
> The fix is to set /etc/exim.conf to mode 755.

Could you explain exactly what you did to get that result?
Did you edit the file?

exim.conf can be created automatically from two places:
1) during setup, by /etc/postinstall/exim.sh,
   if it doesn't exist already.
2) by a user running /bin/exim-config
As far as I can see the mode is set to 644 in both cases.

If it happened during setup, please try the following:
cd /etc
mv exim.conf exim.conf.bak
sh -x postinstall/exim.sh.done

You should get a new exim.conf with the right modes.
Send me the output of the sh if it looks interesting.

Pierre