Problems with 'I have no name'

Before anyone flames me, I've read the docs, the FAQ, and searched the
mailing list archives for 'I have no name.'  I've tried the suggestions on
the mailing list but they aren't working.  I've even searched using
Google.

I'm using Windows XP and logged in with a domain login.  My domain
username is in the local machine's administrators group.

I installed Cygwin for just me using the default package selection plus
the CVS, OpenSSH and OpenSSL packages.  When I run bash, It tells me that
I am the administrator.  When I try to check files out of CVS, I get an
error telling me that it can't change the mode of files.  From reading the
archives, it looks like I need to use mkpasswd -du to add myself to
/etc/passwd.  So I ran:

  mkpasswd -u 'perrym3' -d 'rnumdmas'

which just printed the output to my screen.  So I tried:

  mkpasswd -u 'perrym3' -d 'rnumdmas' >> /etc/passwd

I then exited bash and then started it again.  Now I get bash telling me
that 'I have no name.'  If I remove the line that was added to /etc/passwd
by the mkpasswd command above, then I'm back to bash thinking that I'm the
administrator.

Some people have suggested adding nontsec to the CYGWIN variable, but I'm
not sure how great of an idea that is.  After all, it's on for a reason so
what is the point of it if you are going to have everyone disable it.

I also thought that this was strange.  Here is my entry in /etc/passwd:

perrym3:unused_by_nt/2000/xp:81217:10513:Perry, Matt {Info~Pleasanton},U-RNUMDMA
S\perrym3,S-1-5-21-2116170847-193796598-433219294-71217://RPBMF106/perrym3$:/bin
/bash

But when I log in and type 'id' I get the following:

uid=15681 gid=10513 groups=544(Administrators),545(Users)

What I find confusing here is that while the GID matches what is in
/etc/passwd, the UID does not.  Based on the suggestion in the ntsec
chapter of the docs I changed the GID for the perrym3 entry in /etc/passwd
to be the GID for the locla administrators group.  Now when I log in and
type 'id' I get the following:

uid=15681 gid=544(Administrators) groups=544(Administrators),545(Users)

But bash still complains that I have no name.

Any ideas on how to solve this?  Any help will be very appreciated.

--
Matt Perry | matt at primefactor dot com