RE: Latest update problems (ntsec and file permissions, I think)(tagged releases comment)

Personally, I watch the list and am more careful now about upgrading a box I use in production. This can be intimidating to new users, especially when the "norm" is to expect a Setup program to present you with Release Notes.

Cygwin reminds me of running the "testing" tree of Debian: something is updated every day, and by participating in this tree you assume a higher level of risk than "usual" Windows software.

I think what is sorely needed is a "tagged release", or bundled packages. The way this could work is you are locked into a version set, and can add and remove packages without always getting the "latest" code. The benefit here would be a set of "known issues" for the release, and a proper set of Release Notes could be made for each release.

I get the impression patches for "releases" and "show release notes" would be accepted (things I couldn't offer).

-Scott