Re: Fw: problem with ls and similar commands in tcsh

On Sat, 19 Oct 2002, mike parks wrote:

> Igor,
>
> let me back up a little here. i am trying to setup my pc at home as a
> work station.  this is relatively new for me because in the past at
> various jobs it was already done.
>
> so some of the things you ask about i am not certain, like the glob.
>
> > Does the glob expansion function of tcsh (^X-*) work?
>     how can i tell if it works?

Mike,

On the tcsh command line, type 'ls temp*' (no Enter), then press Ctrl-X
and then press '*'.  This should expand to the three filenames below.  If
it instead expands to 'temp\*', you probably have noglob set, as Jon
LaBadie suggested (see
http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2002-10/msg01167.html ).
Another way of checking whether noglob is set is 'set | grep noglob' at
the tcsh prompt.

If noglob is set, try 'unset'ting it and executing 'ls temp*' again.  If
that makes it work, you have to track down which startup script sets
noglob (probably ~/.tcshrc, ~/.cshrc or /etc/csh.cshrc).  Try starting
tcsh with the '-f' option to not execute those scripts, and see if it
fixes the problem.  You will then want to edit the offending script and
comment out the 'set noglob' line.

FYI, to find out *exactly* what is executed on tcsh startup, run 'tcsh -X
-c "exit" 2>&1' and capture the output (note the capital X).  Everything
printed before 'exit' is in your startup scripts.
	Igor

--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Water molecules expand as they grow warmer" (C) Popular Science, Oct'02, p.51