Re: Fw: problem with ls and similar commands in tcsh

Mike,

On Sat, 19 Oct 2002, mike parks wrote:

> hi
> i am running the latest cygwin win32 version on windows xp pro and am
> having the following error or strange behavior.
>
> i start a tcsh by typing tcsh on the bash command line in the cygwin
> window. when i do i see this
>
>     if: Expression Syntax.

You probably have an error in your default /etc/profile or ~/.[t]cshrc

> then when i type this
>     ls temp*                (3 files should be reported)
>
> i get this
>     ls: temp*: No such file or directory
>
> my CYGWIN variable is not set to anything. i noticed some bug reports
> related to this on the website. they say i should set $CYGWIN to
>     check_case:strict

Actually, you probably want to use "check_case:relaxed", or,
"check_case:adjust", to mimic Windows behavior.

> i also noticed that there can be many variables set in the $CYGWIN env
> variable.
>
> *** 1) how do i do that? separating them with ':'? is this done in a .cshrc
> file for example?

They are separated with spaces.  You'll need to quote the value
appropriately.
You should really set the value in your system control panel, so that it
is set before cygwin1.dll is loaded.  However, for things like
check_case:* and some others you can set it in your .cshrc or
/etc/profile.
An example setting would be
	setenv CYGWIN="$CYGWIN check_case:adjust"

> *** 2) is there anything else i need to do as well to solve this problem?

Hard to say.  Are the files you're looking for actually there?  Does 'dir
temp*' do what you want?  How about 'cmd /c "dir temp*"'?

> *** 3) also, how do i set tcsh as my default shell? do i need a .cshrc file?

Depends on where you start it from.  If you start it from a shortcut, you
can just change the shortcut.  If you start rxvt or xterm, you should read
the appropriate man page to see how to do that.  I'm not sure modifying
the shell setting in /etc/passwd will work, but try it anyway (don't
forget to back up /etc/passwd in case it gets corrupted).

> *** 4) if so, does it go in the 'home' directory?

Try 'man tcsh', and read the 'Startup and shutdown' and 'FILES' sections.
Hope this helps,
	Igor

--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Water molecules expand as they grow warmer" (C) Popular Science, Oct'02, p.51