Re: UW imapd and cygwin1.dll 1.3.13-2

Eduardo Chappa writes:
> Let me tell you my part of the story. I have compiled the imapd server,
> and as to how I understand that it should work, it works. However, one of
> the people in this forum tells me that it does not work for him.

I thought i would pass along my recent experience with the imapd server
on Win2K Pro.  I tried the Cygwin binary from sourceforge, and had trouble
getting authentication to work.  I tried modifying the /etc/passwd entries,
but I found any change from the unused_by_nt/2000/xp placed there by
mkpasswd broke sshd authentication - which was not acceptable (actually
any change in the length of that field causes problems for me).

I bypassed the authentication issue by running imapd as myself instead
of SYSTEM (specifying my username in inetd.conf).  This preauthenticates
me, which is not secure - but it works for me since I am the only user
and the port is shielded by two firewalls.  I can access my mailbox via
a client on the server or ssh tunnelling.

I still had two problems: I couldn't get access to local folders, and
imapd wrote a ton of log messages to the application event log.  I could
get a list of the local folders by adjusting the root folder path in my
client, but it wouldn't read them.  So I downloaded the source from UW
and built 'make cyg', which worked fine.

After experimenting with hacking various things in the source, I settled
on overriding a few defaults in env_unix.c.

static char *myUserName = "user";    /* user name */
static char *myHomeDir = "/home/user";   /* home directory name */
static char *mailsubdir = "mail";   /* mail subdirectory name */

Note that these changes really are hacks that make the server work
insecurely for a single user.  I don't recommend them, but wanted to
provide my findings.

I tried to cut down on the voluminous log messages by setting
setlogmask(LOG_UPTO(LOG_WARNING)), but that didn't seem to inhibit the
LOG_INFO messages being posted.  I eventually provided a dummy syslog
to get rid of logging entirely...also not a recommended solution.

My setup is working, so I'm content as things stand.  I am curious why
the /etc/passwd changes broke sshd, and why setlogmask() apparently
didn't work.

Roy Hashimoto