Re: binutils 20021009 cvs trunk on cygwin: ld failuers

On Fri, Oct 11, 2002 at 10:43:16PM +0200, Christian Jönsson wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 11, 2002 at 11:32:15AM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 11, 2002 at 05:24:34PM +0200, Christian J?nsson wrote:
> > >Hmm, I don't quite follow you here.
> > >
> > >The PATH variable is not set by me, it's set by cygwin, right?
> > >
> > >The PATH contains the entry /cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32 but that makes
> > >no sense if "check_case:strict" is present in the CYGWIN variable
> > >initialising cygwin, right?
> >
> > It depends on whether WINDOWS is the actual name of your directory or
> > not.  This isn't set by Cygwin, regardless.  It's set by the system.
> > If you are going to use strict case checking then it is up to you
> > to make sure that all filenames are properly referenced.  As you
> > probably noticed, there was no "Make sure all files have proper case?"
> > option in setup.exe.  And, having the DLL actually try to figure out
> > what case is correct would defeat the purpose of strict case checking.
> >
> > I always suggest against using strict case checking.  It adds extra
> > overhead and causes other problems since Windows assumes that it
> > can be flexible with respect to filename cases.
> >

> I can in a way understand you there, too bad it's conflicting with
> building gcc with gcj under cygwin. see for example
>
> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/java/2002-09/msg00107.html
>
> what do you see as the "best" way ahead?

well, I did change the PATH now so that cases match... But, still the
same problem...

Let me ask an other question... are there any other PATHs that also might
be affected by strict case? Such as an equivalent to LD:LIBRARY_PATH?

I believe that the wanted library is perhaps the
/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/user32.dll one and I'd like to test to see
if that works then. The /cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/SYSTEM32 is inthe PATH, I can
do a which user32.dll and it echoes that file. But how does the limker
get to use it??

Cheers,

/ChJ