Re: crontab fails to change crontab file: "no changes made to crontab"

"Harig, Mark A." <maharig@idirect.net> wrote:

> My assumptions were:
>
>    1. You are running NTFS as your file system on your disk.  Is this
> assumption correct?

Yes.
>    2. You have set the CYGWIN environment variable to include 'ntsec
> binmode', and that you set this variable's value using the Control
> Panel's System applet.  Is this assumption correct?

It wasn't, but it is now. After I'd done that I deleted /var/cron and
reestablished it using /etc/postinstall/cron.sh.done

Now the permissions look more comprehensible:

sholden@COMPUTER ~
$ ls -Rl /var/cron
/var/cron:
total 0
drwxrwxrwt    2 sholden  None            0 Oct 10 15:21 tabs

/var/cron/tabs:
total 1
-rw-r-----    1 sholden  SYSTEM        225 Oct 10 15:21 sholden

sholden@COMPUTER ~
$ ls -ld !$
ls -ld /var/cron
drwxrwxrwt    3 sholden  None            0 Oct 10 15:20 /var/cron

but unfortuantely crontab is still unable to edit the file it creates with
the first crontab -e. I even tried adding group write permission to
/var/cron/tabs/sholden, but that did no good either. I'm thinking
"reinstall" here ...

puzzled-ly y'rs  - steve