Setup can't install from local drive?

Setup (2.249.2.5) crashes (invalid page fault in module "unknown" at
0084:00000000) when I try to install from a local directory.

What I had hoped to do was to simply download all the current packages from
a mirror, burn everything to a CD, and run the installer from the CD. The
idea was that the "install from local directory" would allow me to pick
packages in the same manner as the "download from internet" option. This
would save me a couple of hours of downloading when I install a new hard
drive (soon).

Problem 1: the chooser window just has all the packages carelessly tossed
under "misc" instead of their usual categories. What happened to the
categories? What happened to the default install options (that is, the base
package only)? I had wanted to install the base, and then go back and
install other things later, just like the download from internet option. I
just didn't want to spend long hours going on the internet to download stuff
that I already had here.

Problem 2: CRASH, tinkle. Okay, so I ignore the bizarre behavior above, and
choose to simply install the whole thing. Nope. The setup program seems to
like following null pointers more than actually installing packages. So, I
have a few empty directories, and nothing whatsoever else.

In the end, Cygwin is not installed on my system, I have a CD I burned with
500Mb of useless bz2 files that can't be installed, and I wasted a couple of
hours grabbing those files for the (I guess non-existent) convenience of
using a cd drive that's noticeably faster than my internet connection.

Has anyone successfully used this setup program to get Cygwin on their
system from a local directory?