unintended logout with bash shell

This has been bugging me for a while and I think I've finally got it to a
repeatable case.

Suppose I have a function in my .profile like so:

 vi(){
  /cygdrive/d/vim/vim60/gvim.exe `for file in $* ; do cygpath -w $file ;
done` &
 }

If I do something like 'vi /usr/include/std<tab>' (<tab> for command
completion), as soon as it returns to the prompt (immediately because of the
'&'), the terminal says 'logout'.  As soon as I exit the last gvim running
on this terminal, the terminal goes away.  It seems more repeatable if the
command completion didn't work the first time, that is, not enough had been
typed to complete yet.

Anyone else seen this behaviour?

Kris