Re: Objective-C

On Sun, Sep 29, 2002 at 12:59:54PM -0700, MarketLogix Developer wrote:
>I bailed from this list about a year or so ago when Cygnus, or rather, RedHat
>finally nuked ObjC in the 1.3.x net release of Cygwin.  I know that it was
>never "officially" supported but once one could simply play with the
>makefiles a bit to get it going.  RedHat basically did the same by
>eliminating ObjC from with their 2.96 gcc release.  However, an ObjC rpm
>eventually surfaced to bring it back into the available toolset.
>
>Has some guru done the same for the Cygwin stuff or has the combination of
>COM, newlib, cygwin.dll, et. al. proven to be too much of a burden to overcome ?
>
>Thanks in advance,

"Red Hat" does not provide the cygwin net release.  I, and volunteers
provide the Cygwin net release.  Trying to draw analogies between
whatever shows up in Red Hat linux or inferring company policy for
anything in the Cygwin net release is wrong.

Red Hat does have a limited commercial Cygwin offering.  It probably
doesn't include Objective C.  I actually don't know.  It is not based in
any way on the Cygwin net release.

I am a Red Hat employee.  Corinna is a Red Hat employee.  Very
occasionally, Corinna gets to work on Cygwin for Red Hat.  I never do.

I was the person who decided not to include Objective C.  I made the
decision as an individual, not as a Red Hat representative.  Tim Prince
is right in supposing that this was a matter of time.  I have even
less time now than I did when I made the decision to nuke it.

However, since you figured out how to build Objective C, this isn't
that big a burden for you, AFAICT.

cgf