RE: xrvt clipboard access

You might need to create the text file ~/.inputrc,
and add the line:

"\e[2~": paste-from-clipboard

Then you should be able to use 'shift-insert' to insert
the contents of the clipboard into 'rxvt'.

>From the manual page for 'rxvt':

TEXT SELECTION AND INSERTION
       The behaviour of text selection and insertion mechanism is
       similar to xterm(1).

       Selection:
              Left  click at the beginning of the region, drag to
              the end of the region and release; Right  click  to
              extend  the  marked  region;  Left  double-click to
              select a word;  Left  triple-click  to  select  the
              entire line.

       Insertion:
              Pressing  and releasing the Middle mouse button (or
              Shift-Insert) in an rxvt window causes the  current
              text  selection  to  be  inserted as if it had been
              typed on the keyboard.