Re: socket() function fails when application runs as an NT service.

Christophe LEITIENNE wrote:

I think 0 is a valid socket descriptor. -1 is not.
True.

It may also be helpful to call WSAGetLastError(). I realize that you're probably running under Cygwin for POSIX compatibility, but adding this temporarily to ask Winsock "why" it returned an error can be illuminating. Since one possible result is "there is no error", you will want to call WSASetLastError() with 0 to make sure you don't get an older error code, since Winsock doesn't reset the error variable after a successful call.
--
= Winsock Programmer's FAQ: http://tangentsoft.net/wskfaq/