Re: Curious behavior of CYGSERVER

--- Robert Collins <rbcollins@cygwin.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2002-09-15 at 11:43, David A. Cobb wrote:
> > I discussed above
> (http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2002-09/msg00302.html) my
> > problems attempting to do a bootstrap of gcc-3.2.   One
> experiment
> > involved firing up CYGSERVER.  As mentioned in the previous
> thread, the
> > program went much much much further this way -- make check took
> about 13
> > hours!
> >
> > In the process, I notice two unexpected behaviors.  The CYGSERVER
> emits
> > dots (.) on the screen every little while - perhaps it emits one
> > everytime it gets called.  This isn't bad -- it makes a handy
> pulse to
> > be sure the machine hasn't just frozen up.  Three screenshots are
> > attached fro the make  check run.
>
> Thats what it is, simply some feedback. When cygserver starts to
> provide
> significant functionality, that may get removed. Or at least that
> was my
> plan before I handed it over to Conrad.

He's lightened the verbosity, so not so many dots now...

> > What is really bad is that somehow, having CYGSERVER involved
> defeats
> > the stdout redirection.  For example, the make check not only ran
> for 13
> > hours, but it also gave me very little clue as to its success or
> failure.
>
> That is very unexpected. The HEAD code for cygserver supported
> normal
> and tty operation without any regressions from having cygserver not
> running, when I merged it.
>
> Are you sure that that is the cause?

I can actually confirm this behavior since I started testing it a few
months ago.  Always seems to be the most predominant when running
configure scripts and the like.  Conrad has some theories on why this
may be happening, so I'll let him have his say.

Oh, BTW, make sure you don't have a "cygdaemo" in /tmp, if you do
delete it immediately.  Otherwise, it will *seriously* degrade
performance...  In the cygdaemon branch, Conrad's already fixed this,
but not in HEAD or the current release.

Cheers,
Nicholas