Curious behavior of CYGSERVER

I discussed above (http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2002-09/msg00302.html) my
problems attempting to do a bootstrap of gcc-3.2. One experiment
involved firing up CYGSERVER. As mentioned in the previous thread, the
program went much much much further this way -- make check took about 13
hours!

In the process, I notice two unexpected behaviors. The CYGSERVER emits
dots (.) on the screen every little while - perhaps it emits one
everytime it gets called. This isn't bad -- it makes a handy pulse to
be sure the machine hasn't just frozen up. Three screenshots are
attached fro the make check run.

What is really bad is that somehow, having CYGSERVER involved defeats
the stdout redirection. For example, the make check not only ran for 13
hours, but it also gave me very little clue as to its success or failure.

--
David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate
"By God's Grace I am a Christian man, by my actions a great sinner." -- The Way of a Pilgrim; R. M. French, tr.

PNG image

PNG image