Re: mkpasswd takes 18 hours to finish!

On Fri, Sep 13, 2002 at 04:24:50PM -0400, rotaiv wrote:
> At 9/13/2002  02:54 PM, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> >It may be that the order of arguments matters, and that the correct way to
> >specify the username and the domain would be
> >        mkpasswd -u MY_USER_ID -d MY_DOMAIN >> /etc/passwd
> >but the point remains the same.
>
> Once again, correct if you use the second syntax.  For some reason, putting
> the -d before -u causes to list all users whereas putting -u before -d only
> lists the single user.  I fail to see why the order of the switches should
> be import but apparently it is.

I think the confusion comes from the fact that the domain name is an
argument to mkpasswd itself; it is not an argument to the -d option.

I believe the following two invocations are equivalent...

mkpasswd -d -u USER DOMAIN

mkpasswd -u USER -d DOMAIN

This may be counterintuituive, but that's the way it is.  I know,
"Patches graciously accepted..."

Dave

--
David MacMahon, President