RE: mkpasswd takes 18 hours to finish!

Normally you would use:

  mkpasswd -d MY_DOMAIN | grep MY_USER_ID >> /etc/passwd

Of course, now that you have your passwd entry,
you should edit /etc/passwd and extract your
entry from the file, save it to a separate
file, discard /etc/passwd, regenerate it
using 'mkpasswd -l > /etc/passwd', and
add your entry to the new, smaller file.