Re: Beginnings of a patch: /etc/hosts

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

On another note, I'm not sure why you were checking for the presence of
the windows files.
I'm only checking for the existence of the Windows directory where we are expecting to find the hosts file and such. This is to protect against the preceding code somehow failing to find the correct directory. Let's say the script is somehow fooled into generating a WinNT-style path on a 9x type box: in that case the path won't exist, so even though the symlink can be created, it won't point to a useful path.

> We could still create dangling symlinks if they are
missing, which will allow the files to be created by editing/saving the
symlink.
Precisely the correct behavior.

On Win9x systems, hosts and such don't exist until the user creates one. There's a *.sam ("sample") version of those files by default.