Re: Beginnings of a patch: /etc/hosts

Christopher Faylor wrote:

I agree with this, especially in this case.  If a user casually changes
an environment variable to something "nonstandard" then they shouldn't
be surprised by the behavior of our tools.  This is different from
prompting them for OS and letting the user lie if they want to.  In
that case, I'd agree that they should be able to do this.
Environment variables are the source of a lot of trouble, and I avoid
them as much as possible.  What a great idea -- global variables in your
program that any user can change -- regardless of whether he knows he
did it, or what the effect might be!

Joe Buehler