Re: Need Benchmark Stats

On Tuesday 03 September 2002 11:03, Dan Kegel wrote:
> Rick Richardson wrote:
> > I downloaded the 1.3.12-2 Cygwin and installed it on two fresh systems.
> >
> > I noticed that "configure" scripts I have written that would take 30-60
> > seconds to run under RedHat 7.2, would take 10 minutes or more to run
> > under CygWin.  One took nearly an hour to run.
>
> I've seen this, too.  Are you using virus protection?  Try turning it off.
>
> This ought to be in the FAQ under "Why do my configure scripts run so
> slow?" - Dan

With McAfee in command line checking mode, where it checks each script file
each time it is started, my laptop goes into sleep mode rather than
completing a configure script.  It's only necessary to modify the ViruScan
installation to remove command line checking.

Even without virus checking, the gcc testsuite takes 1 hr 20 minutes to run
on cygwin (no java), as compared with 20 minutes (including java) on the same
machine (2.8Ghz P4 with HyperThreading).

--
Tim Prince