run as a bash command in an rxvt window with default
mounts as per setup (install binary/all)

uname -a gives:
CYGWIN_NT-5.0 JOHNS-2ND-STAR 1.3.12(0.54/3/2) 2002-07-06 02:16 i686 unknown

I hope this gives you something to compare with
/John Vincent.

From: Rick Richardson <rickr@mn.rr.com>
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: A Simple Real World Benchmark for Cygwin
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 10:19:58 -0500

A Simple Real World Benchmark for CygWin

This is a simple benchmark of CygWin performance when running a
collection of Unix tools such as sed, awk, gcc.  It uses the familiar
"configure" script to generate the load.  I picked a configure script
I happened to have laying around as being "representative" of this
type of load.

I am a CygWin newbie.  The motivation for this benchmark is that I
noticed that my CygWin installations were so slow as to effectively be
unusable for development work.  For example, the attached script runs
in 5 seconds with native Redhat 7.2 on a P3/700 with a 7200 RPM disk.
But the script takes 3 minutes to run on the same machine under CygWin.

Certainly, some performance degradation under CygWin could be expected
and tolerated.  But not a factor of 30X or more.  IMHO, of course.

It is not entirely clear to me that my performance is representative
of other CygWin installations.  Without a benchmark, it is impossible
for me to determine if the results I am seeing are normal for CygWin,
or the result of some unknown as yet system or installation problem.

Hence this benchmark, which I hope will allow myself and others to
compare CygWin performance with the performance that other people
are seeing.

Running the benchmark is simple, and I am not particularly interested
in highly precise results in this first pass.  Simply make your system
as quiescent as possible, then type:

        rm -f config.cache
        time ./configure

Report the elapsed *real* time.

Here are the results from my two tests.  I will happily accept other
benchmark reports.  Mail them to rickr@mn.rr.com.

-Rick Richardson, 09/02/2002

TIME    CPU     MHZ     DISK            OS AND VERSION
(secs)
5       P3      700     IBM 7200RPM     RH7.2, native
180     P3      700     IBM 7200RPM     win98 4.10.1998, cygwin 1.3.12-2

--
Rick Richardson  rickr@mn.rr.com        http://home.mn.rr.com/richardsons/
Stock information at your fingertips:   http://linuxtrade.0catch.com/

Most Minnesotans think Global Warming is a good thing.
<< cygbench.tar.gz >>