Re: dll versus so

Ignasi Villagrasa wrote:

I call A.so from an executable B. B and A.so have several routines duplicated.
Sounds like you're _trying_ to make trouble for yourself. <shakes head>

If I were managing your project, I would suggest that you make one of several architecture changes to the project:

1. Give the functions in A.so and B different names so there is no clash for the linker to resolve.

2. If the functions within A.so which are named the same as functions in B are never used by B or any other client of A.so, make the versions within B.so "static". This may require some reorganization of code. Failing that, there is a way to make the linker not export the functions through the Windows DLL interface, but I forget how to do this. Chances are excellent that GCC supports Microsoft's keyword syntax to do this, so searching on http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/ may be helpful. Failing that, read the GCC docs. The __attribute syntax may have an element you can use.