Request for clarification in cygwin setup

In the Cygwin Setup what does exactly means setting "Default Text File Type"
to DOS or Unix? I don't find it anywhere on the docs or FAQs. It means that
the text files part of the cygwin distribution will be in that format, that
all the files we create will have that as a default, something else? What
are the pros of selecting Unix? Isn't selecting DOS more compatible with the
rest of Windows?

TIA
Gustavo Guerra