Re: Cannot get cygwin license information

On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 02:25:42PM +0200, Christophe LEITIENNE wrote:
>I am porting an UNIX product to Windows. It is commercial software and isn't
>OpenSource.
>I was really impressed by the porting easyness of this product under Cygwin,
>and would like to use it commercially.
>
>I am trying to get licensing informations about Cygwin. I wrote several
>times to orders@redhat.com, filled the "Contact Sales" form twice on the
>cygwin web site, but NEVER had a reply.
>
>My questions are :
>    1. What kind of license do I need to sell 30 copies of this product ?
>    2. How much does this license costs ?
>    3. Do we need a license if I don't distribute cygwin.dll (only the
>product dynamically linked against it), and let the final user install
>Cygwin himself ?

I have just updated the "Red Hat Cygwin Product" link at
http://cygwin.com/ to point to http://www.redhat.com/software/cygwin/ .
Apparently our marketing department likes to change this link every
couple of months, just to keep me on my toes.

This new page should have more details on what you need to do.

You do not need to distribute the Cygwin DLL but, unless you arrange to
purchase a commercial license from Red Hat, you will need to distribute
your software under the GPL regardless of whether you distribute the DLL
or not.

If the information at this web page doesn't help, then please send me
private email.

cgf