Re: LS -R (Cygwin, latest builds as of 8/15/02, Win2K box)

My Avatar wrote:

> I've read all the FAQs, Groups, MsgBoards, & Cygwin
> archives I can find, and although I have found some
> user's with similiar problems, none of them ever
> seemed to be resolved (as far as I could tell).
>
> My problem is this. I am trying to use the -R switch
> with ls to get a listing of files that I am going
> to send to sort (to get a top 10 kind of thing). I
> am very fearful that this is going to be flame bait,
> but feel I have done all I humanly can right now to
> resolve the issue on my own.
>
> When I enter ls -R *.db, it only returns the matching
> files in the current path (and I verified that there
> are matching files in the subdirs).

I think you are falling into the trap of thinking that -R will operate
on '.' as though it had been included in your argument list. Descent
into sub directories will only occur if the *.db expands into at least
one argument which is a directory, whereupon its sub directories will be
explored.

Note that it would list all the contents of such sub directories, it
wouldn't prepend the directory name to your *.db.

> Here is one thread that almost seems similiar, but
> doesnt seem to be resolved...
> http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/1999-08/msg00578.html
> ...when I try to do as the author suggests, I get the
> following messgage...
> $ find . -name *.db
> find: paths must precede expression
> Usage: find [path...] [expression]
>
> ...so I tried...
> $ find /cygdrive/s/customer/ -name *.db
> find: paths must precede expression
> Usage: find [path...] [expression]

This is because you should have put single quotes around the *.db

like
    find . -name '*.db'

to avoid shell expansion of the *.db

> Here is an example of what happens with LS...
> $ ls *.db
> Copy of Langdef.db RSINFO.db S98pcta.db langFltr.db
> qClass.db
>
> Administrator@TRAVIS /cygdrive/s/customer/dist10
> $ cd ..
>
> Administrator@TRAVIS /cygdrive/s/customer
> $ ls -R *.db
> ALPHACLS.db ALPHAGRD.db dist.db olddist.db
>
> Administrator@TRAVIS /cygdrive/s/customer
> $ ls *.db
> ALPHACLS.db ALPHAGRD.db dist.db olddist.db
>
> Your thoughts?
> Travis Johnson

HTH

Don Sharp