Re: Cygwin 'login' command does not work - why?

Try doing a 'telnet localhost' instead of 'login'.  This works for
me when I want to be 'root'.
(If I remember correctly, the problem with login has to do with the fact
that it needs to do some context switching which isn't possible unless
it's run as system, which apparently inetd/telnetd are)