Initial Cygwin process hangs on exit waiting for background processes to complete ...

I'm running the latest Cygwin distribution on NT 4.0 (poor me) and it exhibits the following irritating behavior in shells launched from the Windows environment (e.g. the Cygwin Bash script, or the XFree86 start script).

If there are any background processes, the invoking Cygwin process hangs until they exit. Even the following trivial example :

# sleep 120 &
# exit

... elicits the problem with the shell's window hanging in until the sleep completes. The upshot is more cosmetic than anything else resulting in a shell window hanging around for the duration of my XFree86 session.

Any ideas anyone ?

Thanks,

Anthony Shortland
Mountain View, CA