Re: cygwin and long filenames with spaces

Terry,

At first I didn't understand what you were suggesting, but I think I do now. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

If you create those directories (correcting the spelling error / typo in "/prog" which I assume you meant to be "/proc") then the completions that I mentioned as not working will indeed work.

Presumably these names are special and intercepted in Cygwin1.dll so the presence of ordinary directories with the same name does not disturb the function of those special names but simply serves as a means of getting command completion to see and expand them from their prefixes.

In other words, the special, built-in treatment of "/cygdrive", "/dev" and "/proc" overrides or "shadows" the existence of real directories by those names, but readline still just looks for matches in "/" when attempting completion.

Further experimentation seems to confirm this understanding.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA