Re: cygwin and long filenames with spaces

On Thu, Aug 08, 2002 at 08:17:50AM -0700, Michael A Chase wrote:
>On Thu, 8 Aug 2002 11:09:14 -0400 Christopher Faylor <cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:
>>On Thu, Aug 08, 2002 at 06:38:14AM -0700, Michael A Chase wrote:

>>>Quoting the entire file specification or escaping the spaces with '\'
>>>are the normal ways that spaces in file or directory names are handled.
>>>Can you send us the exact sequence of commands you are trying that are
>>>not working as you expece?
>>
>>Quoting spaces with \ doesn't work from the command line on cygwin.
>>Quoting the entire specification does, e.g.
>>
>>ls -l "/cygdrive/c/Program Files"
>
>Both seem to work for me here at the bash prompt in a console window
>under WinXP.
>
>mchase@MCHASE-COMPAQ /c/Documents and Settings/Michael A Chase $ ll
>Application\ Data/Comma\ Separated\ Values\ \(DOS\).ADR
>-rw-r--r--    1 mchase   None        38981 Jan 26  2002 Application Data/Comma Separated Values (DOS).ADR

You're doing it from bash.  I assumed that the person was having
problems from the command shell since they said "MS-Windows".  But,
on reflection, there is no guarantee that's the case here.  Not enough
info.

When there is a UNIX shell involved the quoting rules follow whatever
the UNIX shell uses (as you know).  When there is no UNIX shell involved
then cygwin itself tries to do something halfway intelligent with the
arguments.

Anyway, with luck, one of our responses should have answered the
question.

cgf