Re: cygwin and long filenames with spaces

On Thu, 8 Aug 2002 11:09:14 -0400 Christopher Faylor <cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 08, 2002 at 06:38:14AM -0700, Michael A Chase wrote:
> >On Thu, 8 Aug 2002 14:12:51 +0100 Chris Game <chrisgame@bigfoot.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> How can you pass long filenames which include spaces to cygwin/bash
> >> commands like 'ls' under MS-Windows? Neither escaping the spaces, nor
> >> enclosing the filename in single or double quotes seems to work. I
> >> have to use the old DOS style short filename like /cygdrive/Docume~
> >> 1/... which can be a nuisance.
> >
> >Quoting the entire file specification or escaping the spaces with '\'
> are
> >the normal ways that spaces in file or directory names are handled.  Can
> >you send us the exact sequence of commands you are trying that are not
> >working as you expece?
>
> Quoting spaces with \ doesn't work from the command line on cygwin.
> Quoting
> the entire specification does, e.g.
>
> ls -l "/cygdrive/c/Program Files"

Both seem to work for me here at the bash prompt in a console window under
WinXP.

mchase@MCHASE-COMPAQ /c/Documents and Settings/Michael A Chase
$ ll Application\ Data/Comma\ Separated\ Values\ \(DOS\).ADR
-rw-r--r--    1 mchase   None        38981 Jan 26  2002 Application Data/Comma Separated Values (DOS).ADR

--
Mac :})
Ask Smarter: http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html