Re: Mysterious gdb behavior.

On 3 Aug 2002 at 11:13, Max Bowsher wrote:

> I simply stated that your assertion was false. At no point did I target you. My
> aim was simply to prevent the other people from learning incorrect information.

Like hell it was. If that was your aim, it wasn't well served, since
the assertion *you* made was false. Besides, it's obvious from your
tone here that your intent is to smear me. Go find something more
constructive to do.

> > The problem is that you are trying to tar me some kind of idiot!
>
> No. I'm not. As above.

Deny it all you want. Besides, regardless of what you are *trying* to
do, what the hell do you think it looks like???

> > No, the difference is that someone has taken a personal dislike to
> > me, for whatever reason. The reason is irrelevant.
>
> I just gave the only possible reason above!

Which reason amounts to, I'm being treated differently because I'm an
idiot. Well, I refuse to accept that. I have strong defenses against
being tricked into negative self-beliefs. Messages that are
insulting, or make insulting insinuations, are not trusted and nor
are their authors for some time after. If only M$ mail clients were
that secure.

Take your insults and your toys and go back to your own back yard to
play.

> > Then why didn't you just say so, instead of appearing to disagree and
> > insulting my intelligence with every posting?
>
> I was not discussing changing windows usernames as applied to this situation. I
> was simply arguing that, should you want to do it, it would be substantially
> less difficult than you suggested. I'm sorry if I gave you the wrong impression
> about this.

Substantially less difficult as in three hours of pain and nitpicking
followed by one week of catching more omitted changes, instead of
five hours and three weeks?

> > Bull. If I change my username to Zaphod Beeblebrox, to make things
> > consistent I'd have to rename my home directories (Windows and cygwin
> > both) to Zaphod Beeblebrox.
>
> Cygwin, maybe. Windows, no. Windows intends for you to access stuff in your home
> directory through things like My Documents.

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents, to be exact -- can
you imagine the chaos when the path to *that* changes?!

> Yes. You are not required or supposed to change Windows home dirs.

Nor, I'd expect, unix ones.

> Indeed. The one and only place we told you to edit in the first place.

Without deigning to tell me whether or not anything *else* needed
doing along with that. Besides the obvious.

[Various snippage]

> > But when I dismissed it as too much pain and hardship you lambasted
> > me.
>
> No. I attempted to correct some points on which you were misinformed. You took
> this very badly, for some reason unknown to me.

Umm, would you like being bluntly contradicted ina public forum? The
result is to appear foolish. Especially with what's going on
elsewhere in the thread especially with Greg and Kim that is the LAST
thing I want or need.

Especially under the circumstances, that is a lambasting. The implied
judgment is pretty clear and unwelcome. And undeserved.