Re: More on SSH problems....

On 5 Aug 2002 at 7:47, Stephen Nordlund
wrote:

> Ok... now I'm confused.  I wrote a little chroot how-to for cygwin.  Stephen
> was using that to base his thoughts on.  I have to admit I use it for
> passward authentication only but would like to setup up for PKI.

Good luck...

> What is the proper way to use chroot?
> What is the intendid use of chroot?
>
> Would there be any issues from chrooting from the passwd file via a shell
> script?

This is how I do it, as per your "howto".  A
security window is when sshd changes to the
regular home directory of the user before it
executes the script in the passwd fields.  I
guess this is logical, but I wish there were a
way to have this behavior stopped.

What happens if the home directory is not
specified?

> Would there be a way to just chroot from the passwd file with out the shell
> script?

I don't think it matters if there was a way to stop
the user from being placed in the regular home
directory before executing the chroot script,
that is, keep him in limbo until everything is
chroot'ed...

> I guess this raises lots of questions for me.

Remember what I wrote below.  I now don't think
my problem has anything to do with chroot.  I
think I am missing or have otherwise
misconfigured something related to the Public
Key Authentication, since taking chroot out of
the mix still fails when I try Public Key.

Corinna says that she is able to do this with a
non-privileged user.

I am totally dead in the water right now... been
tearing my hair out about this for a few days
now.