Re: Getting sshd Configured on Win2k Platform

On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 11:54:37PM -0700, David Highley wrote:
> We think there are missing single quotes in the ssh-host-config script.
> When the environment parameter is done as in the script:
>     -e "CYGWIN=binmode ntsec tty" variables expanded here
> the service will not start. If we do the following:
>     -e '"CYGWIN=binmode ntsec tty"'
> the service will start and different users can login. We also found that
> a /etc/group entry was missing which was causing the setgid problem.

Works here w/o single quotes.  They aren't needed.

> We also ran snoop to verify the we have the communication link
> encrypted an no information is leaking. For /etc/sshd_config we ended up
> with:
>      RSAAuthentication yes
>      RhostsAuthentication yes
>      RhostsRSAAuthentication yes
>      PasswordAuthentication yes

Rhosts authentication is BAD!  Set to no.

> We did add ssh to the ${SYSTEMROOT}/system32/drivers/etc/services file.

Which should have been added already by ssh-host-config.

> We did not make any modifications to the Local Security Settings as
> discussed in the openssh README file.

Which is good since the README explicitely says:

The following restrictions only apply to Cygwin versions up to 1.3.1

[...]

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.