How does this work?

The mailings to the cygwin mail list are copied to the newsgroup
gmane.os.cygwin right? What happens to posts (like this one) made
only to the newsgroup? I've not seen copies of mine in the archive so
I presume they don't get mailed, and no reason why they should be. On
the other hand I get replies to my earlier query direct to the group.
The newsgroup is much easier to handle than the mail list (would be
even easier if if was on Google groups) but what am I missing by not
using the mail list?

C.