RE: Useful cygwinism: "Explorer Here"

Christopher Faylor is having a joke at your expense,
I _assume_ it's because he feels you need to RTFM before you ask
quite so many questions.   Christopher Faylor is one of the main
contributors, and has no doubt seen way too many questions that
could be answered by a quick look at the FAQ.

To answer your question, anyway, you are not chrooted, but you
are inside a "virtual" file system.  Cygwin tries to make Unix
tools feel "at home", and this necessitates a certain bending of
the file system to Unix conventions.

You can find your "real" drives hidden away in "/cygdrive".
For example, "/cygdrive/c" is your "C:\" drive.  If you don't like this,
check out the mount command.  You can also
ln -s /cygdrive/c /C
which is what I do.
You can change the /cygdrive prefix, but I don't recommend it.