Re: More problems with cron

--- Peter Buckley <peter.buckley@cportcorp.com> wrote:
> The SYSTEM user does not have access to network
> drives. You might try
> giving it *all* NT rights, but that could be
> dangerous. And even then it
> might not be able to access the drives for some
> reason that I am unaware
> of the mechanics of but is unsurmountable. You won't
> be able to write
> directly to network drives as the SYSTEM user, you
> won't be able to rsh
> to other machines as the SYSTEM user either if
> network drives are
> involved. The SYSTEM user just won't do network
> drives. You can try
> creating a domain user that has rights equivalent to
> SYSTEM (read the
> openssh_x-x-x.README and in the NTSEC/mkpasswd notes
> in the cygwin FAQ),
> but this could be dangerous.
>
> I don't know about the CYGWIN variable not being
> set- is it a system
> variable, or a user variable? But I don't think it
> "prevents" SYSTEM
> from accessing network drives, that is a known NT
> limitation.
>
> HTH,
> Peter

I've changed the CYGWIN env var from a user var to a
system var, but bash still doesn't see it.  IIRC, bash
used to be able to see it.  I don't know when this
behaviour changed.

Assuming what you say about SYSTEM is true (and I have
no reason to doubt it), you're right that the CYGWIN
env var thing probably has nothing to do with the
rsh'ing problems I'm facing.

This helps *a lot*.

Thanks much,
Noel