Re 1.3.9: rsync over ssh stalls

Re the above am getting the same problem as Martin Bene reported on 21st
Feb.  The problem is reproducible as rsync hangs about 1 in 5 times on a
list of 1400 files part way through different file each time. My rsyncing
hangs both in the 'dry run' and normal modes.  I have tried Ryan T
Sammartino's suggestion of adding the -W option and it made no difference.

Has anyone found a solution now ?

Versions at NT end:
NT4 SP6
cygwin 1.3.10-1
rsync  2.5.5-1
openssh 3.2.3p1-1
openssl 0.9.6d-1

Versions on the Linux side
Red Hat 7.2
rsync version 2.4.6  protocol version 24
OpenSSL 0.9.6b [engine] 9 Jul 2001

If I rsync the same set of files from a Linux box to another Linux box the
rsync and ssh work fine.

If you have received it in error, please delete it from your system, do not use,
copy or disclose the information in any way nor act in reliance on it and notify
the sender immediately. Please note that the BBC monitors e-mails sent
or received. Further communication will signify your consent to this.