Re: qpopper authentication problem

On Fri, Jun 21, 2002 at 11:38:17AM +0200, Corwin wrote:
> I have a problem regarding user authentication using qpopper.
> My password is rejected whatever I do.
> I tried with several users that are well defined in /etc/passwd and the =
> result is always the same.
> I tried with ntsec enabled and disabled, no way.
>
> Please could someone help me to solve this problem ? Maybe there is =
> something I don't understand...
>
> I think it is a general cygwin related authentication problem (a really =
> common problem ;o)
> Concerning Authentication mechanism in cygwin, may i ask if it would be =
> possible that someone write a document about this issue ???
> I'd do it myself if i had the skill which is not the case unfortunatly. =
> And this problem is so recurrent that I think it would be worth the work =
> ..

Besides http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html there's not much
to talk about.  Cygwin authentication depends on the same rules as
Windows authentication.  A process which want to change user context
with password authentication needs "Act as part of the operating system",
"Replace process level token" user rights, a process which wants to
change user context just by using setuid() (using NT's NTCreateToken())
needs the "Create token object" and "Replace process level token" user
rights.  This means basically that under default conditions only
SYSTEM has the permissions to change user context.  Normally you
should start such a process as service.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.