Cygwin memory management issues with WinME

Hi,

I've been noticing some strange issues with cygwin and Windows ME.  As
previously reported, I had been experiencing errors sometimes during the
libtool configuration of applications' configure scripts.  So recently
I've been watching the system monitor during these tasks.  To benchmark, I
am using the Apache 2.0 cvs sources in conjunction with the latest cygwin
build.  At first I was recieving the error:
103 [main] sh 591441 fork_copy: user/cygwin data pass 2 failed,
0x980000..0xD3D000, done 0, windows pid 4294669719, Win32 error 8

After some reasearch I recogonized it as windows running out of memory.
So I manually adjusted the minimum virtual memory to 640MB and maximum to
1.2gb.  Now it will stop at one point, complaining:
./configure.lineno: Cannot fork: Resource temporarily unavailable

The problem is this, Although the memory manager says only 370MB is been
allocated, cygwin insists that I am out of memory.  the worse part is that
none of the allocated memory is freed.  This implies that cygwin has a
*major* memory leak somewhere.  I am not the best person to debug this,
and I realize debugging memory issues is a very complex and difficult
task.  So I ask that anyone with WindowsME/98 please try the following
recipie:

1)Download and install the latest cygwin-inst snapshot
2)Download the latest cvs sources of apache2.0
3)Run buildconf to generate the configure script
4)Run configure with some general options

Now if you have system monitor running with the Memory Manager: Allocated
Memory and Swap File In Use graphs you should see what I mean.  Also as
libtool is being generated (especially at the calculating command line
arguments step), notice how sluggish windows becomes, to the point of
almost freezing.  Also notice how the memory consumption is increasing,
but only giving back some of what it took.  Anyhow, you should see what I
mean.  Again, it is absolutely critical you be using ME or 98 as Memory
management differs vastly between Win95/NT/2K/XP and Win98/ME.  I tried to
be as scientific as possible about this report.  I wouldn't be reporting
if it hadn't become such an issue as of late (it has been happening to a
lesser degree over the last 2 months).  To completely honest, I have kept
the same applications over the last month, so I know I haven't changed
exterior variables to this situation.  The only changes have been to
upgrading cygwin packages and the cygwin1.dll itself.  Finally, I'd like
to say that I would fix the issue if I knew how, but I don't.  So the only
thing I can do is report my experience and hope someone with the proper
knowledge and corresponding operating system can look into it.  If there
is a way that I can debug this and provide more information, please tell
me how.  I'll leave sending an strace to private requests, to spare the
list excess junk.  I could just upgrade to Win2K, but that won't solve the
issue for others who are using WindowsME.

Cheers,
Nicholas

P.S. - I noticed that "calculating command line arguments" returns 262144
mostly or sometimes with other scripts it returns approximately 320000.
Certainly this seems a bit high IMO...