Re: /etc/passwd, username, password, and ssh

Hello Ivan,

ID> I have this really dumb question, but I could not find any document or

/usr/doc/Cygwin/login.README
/usr/doc/Cygwin/openssh-3.2.3p1.README

ID> o I install Cygwin. I am not "Administrator" in Windows terms, though I
ID> have admin privileges.

That's ok.

ID> o All runs great until one day I decide to run sshd. I configure and
ID> then start /usr/sbin/sshd and all looks well.

How ? I strongly suggest you to read the README files before trying to
configure/run sshd on Cygwin. This whill avoid many of the questions you
may have :)

ID> o Now I try to login using ssh from a different [or the same] machine
ID> and I get a prompt:

ID> Administrator@w2kts's password:

ID> Huh? Password? Cygwin has never asked me for ANY password ever before!
ID> Which password does it want: the "real" Windows admin [which I don't
ID> know] or mine? Neither works.

This password prompt is displayed by the ssh client itself. If you
have just typed "ssh some.machine.com" it will assume that you'd like
to connect to that machine with the same user name you'are currently
using. To change this type "ssh some_username@some.machine.com". Btw
this is OT for this list really :)

[snip]

ID> BTW: I am not using NTSEC or NTEA, though trying NTSEC did not seem to

I suggest you to use 'ntsec' - why run NT if you don't use it
features. Read the cygwin user guide and FAQ for more info:
http://cygwin.com/faq/
http://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/cygwin-ug-net.html