Re: cvs-1.11.2 test release

Withdrawn.

(a) I've found a few bugs with this release

(b) in attempting to push upstream the patches our version of cvs has been using for the past 18 months, I encounted stiff resistance. Okay, not actually resistance -- just utter apathy. It seems that for all intents and purposes the official cvs tree is NOT undergoing any active development. I received a suggestion to look into cvsnt -- which has now been backported to unix and is no longer a "windows only" port, as of Feb 22, 2002.

This sounds like a good idea. In the long term, we should be able to leverage the cvsnt support for
1) :pserver: running as a standalone service under LOCALSYSTEM, or from inetd(?).
2) :ntserver: protocol, which uses NT authentication directly to change user contexts, when operating within an NT domain
3) active development

Short term, I would like to create a "port" of cvsnt that compiles under cygwin, and provides absolute compatibility with our cvs-1.11.0-1 package. For now, I'm not worried about :pserver:, daemon operation, :ntserver:, etc. Just the basics -- which is what we have working now with 1.11.0-1.

This means I need to cross-port our local cygwin changes, including the gdbm database support for modules and val-tags in CVSROOT. The good news: the cvsnt guys probably LIKE to receive patches.

Since the cvsnt port is currently based on 1.11.1, I will probably package the cvsnt version as "t4est: cvs-1.11.1-X" and NOT "cvsnt-1.11.1...". It might be a little confusing ("What? 'cvs' is not cvs? It's cvsnt?") but this course of action would lead to far fewer upgrade/downgrade problems in the long run (think: cvs-1.11.0-2 == empty, cvsnt-1.11.1-1 conflicts with cvs-1.11.0-1, no way to revert back, etc)

Comments? Questions? Does anyone have experience with a *cygwin* port of cvsnt (not just using the native cvsnt from within cygwin)?

--Chuck

Charles Wilson wrote:

Bump to 1.11.2-2. I've fixed the autconf hackery, so it works correctly now. Thanks to Akim Demaille from the autoconf list for pointers...

All of the original warnings, provisos, etc apply to this "release". Refer to the first message in this thread for more info.